Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Swimming and sleeping DO NOT go together!


Well today was my first official swim practice and it was all on my own. I knew that the gym would be packed this evening so my best bet was to get it done before the start of my work day. Last night I organized and laid everything out for the next day because I knew it was going to be a very early start. I think I was really stressed about actually going alone and executing everything I was supposed to do because I dreamt something about a canoe and a circus clown? What does that mean?.. hmmm
I left my house at 4:45 am and was in the pool by 5:15 am. I think I was still asleep when I hit the water. I couldnt remember all the instructions as to what I had to do. There was a WARM UP, a MAIN SET and a WARM DOWN (I never knew you had to "warm down" when you swam.. who knew?)... there was too much to remember so I wrote each set down and put them in zip locks and placed them at the waters edge. It was a neat trick but a pain in the tush because I had to move the goggles from my eyes to be able to read anything.
Now it was time to swim.... There was some confusion as to the actual length of the pool. No one on staff seem to know so I had to rely on the individuals that were in the pool with me. With much confusion and some language barriers (a few with limited english).. the consensus was that it was 50 yards in length. Let me tell you .. 50 yards is a crazy distance. I think I almost drowned just doing the WARM UP part.. thank goodness the water was only 3 to 5 ft deep. Anyway, by the end of the session I completed my 1,000 yards required... and SO I THOUGHT.
This evening I went to a spin class after my work day. Since I was there early I inquired again about the length of the pool. I found a "head official" and was really, really disappointed to hear that the length of the pool was only 25 yards. So in reality I only did half my work out. I felt like such a failure because I could barely complete what I had done. So to make up for it im going to drag myself back to the pool tomorrow morning and do the actual distance im supposed to do. Swimming is my absolute weakest area. Hopefully in time I will improve. I have no choice.. I have to swim 2.4 miles in my event.. GRRR

2 comments:

Jime' said...

ooofa I'm exhausted just reading that. Kind of makes me happy I am a computer nerd and all my training requires me to sit on my butt. Kudos and love, Jimena

Phil said...

no worries...you will improve and one day read back on this post and laugh.