Thursday, November 20, 2008

The way you float matters



Last night was our first coached swim workout. I learned something about myself... Did you know that you may or may not be a balanced swimmer? The test would be to float.. totally relaxed, faced down in the pool. There are two ways a person will float 1) your entire body will float evenly with the surface of the pool -or- 2) most of your upper body will float evenly with the surface of the pool and your lower body will be more vertical from the surface. People who float like example 1 should have no issues with their swim because they are considered "balanced" swimmers. People who float like example 2 are considered "out of balanced" swimmers. Guess which one im in? You guessed it..... example 2. Apparently I have great upper body strength but im tiring out fairly quickly because my lower body isnt parallel with the surface.. so hence im dragging extra weight and not swimming efficiently. So my main focus from now on is to try to realize when im out of balance and to rebalance myself. I have to retrain my body how to swim. Why couldn't I have been blessed as a "balanced" swimmer?... My training would be so much easier. At least now I know that there is a reason for my poor swimming and I can try to correct it. I asked the coach why people float differently? She said there is no true answer but maybe differences in body composition.
PS I also realize that I need some serious fat on my body. I almost froze to death in the outdoor pool last night... even during my swim drills.
PSS Please remember why im doing this. Funds need to be raised to support cancer research so that we may be able to find a cure. Please make a donation today! xo http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/VineFIrn09/bagamaite

No comments: