Saturday, November 8, 2008

It's Time To Start KICKING CANCER'S ASS!!


Well this IS IT! This is when reality hits me in the face. I have been nothing but excited these past 2-3 mos to begin my biggest challenge yet: to start training for an IRON(WO)MAN
Yesterday we met with our Coaches, our Mentors, our Teammates and most importantly our Honorees. The day was packed with training schedules, paper packets, information about how to swim, how to run, how to breathe, what gear you need and so much more. There was even a discussion that involved bodily fluids.. no worries I will spare you the details. I was also learning an entirely new vocabulary... bricks, cadence, catchup drills, flip turns, new codes and acronyms. Im still feeling overwhelmed from all the new information. It will be quite some time before I can sort it all out. We also did an hour of strength training... push ups, crunches, lunges, right planks, left planks and more. Thanks goodness for my yoga classes, my body was able to rise to the challenge.
For the next 8 months and 21 days I, along with the coaches, will be slowly trying to prepare my body for this endurance event called Vineman. I will only have a 16 hour window to complete the event and I have confidence that I can do it. In case you forgot the distances let me remind you: swim 2.4 miles, bike 112 miles, run 26.2 miles. My ignorance told me that all I needed to do was swim, bike and run. I learned that there was so much more to it... There's a madness and a method to it all. Our bodies must be built up and then broken down only to bring them up again. I had one moment in the day where I envisioned myself as Richard Gere in Officer and A Gentleman. I imagined the coach making me do mud crawls, sit ups and repetitive drills while torturing me with running water from a hose... then I snapped out of it and laughed about the visual. Could you imagine? Ha! 

Please don't forget the reason why i am doing this. I'm trying to raise funds for cancer research. If you want to help in any way just follow the link below:

1 comment:

rosa tran dds said...

Wow! Great blog site B! Very proud of your accomplishments to date and I know you'll kick butt for the Iron(Wo)Man marathon. Miss you lots chica and I'll talk to you soon.
xoxo-rosa