Sunday, January 25, 2009

Olympic Distance Tri-Louie Tri

Well I did it... I sure didnt feel like a "stud" or even look like one. That's what my teammate Amy calls us for braving the cold Bay waters. The mantra "I'm a stud, I'm a stud" never came to me.. i was too cold and all thought processes went out the window. I had to force my face to stay in the water submerged so that eventually it would get numb.. and eventually it did. At first my face hurt and just on my forehead it felt like a brain freeze... ouch!
We were supposed to do 3 laps around the bouys in the water. I managed to only make it 2x around.. not that i didnt want to try. They kept asking me if I wanted to stop and even thought it was best. I was basically holding the kayakers up.. and the coaches wanted me to finish with the swim aspect and start the bike and run. Besides being so slow.. I was also dealing with being sea sick. The Bay water was generally calm at the start of the swim but the winds picked up and then things started getting rocky. Besides the fact that I hate being cold.. the next most hated thing is feeling nauseated. I absolutely hate it.. and i get car sick easily too... blayaak! I actually was hoping and trying to make myself vomit but its difficult to do while floating in the water.
The next phase was bike...I was all ready to just hop on the bike but I was shivering so badly from being so cold that i looked like i was having seizures. The coaches wouldnt let me get on the bike at first.. I was grouped hugged (not complaining there), then wrapped in blankets and forced into a heated car.. oh and also given chicken broth that just wanted to make me hurl. Just plain hot water would of been fine. Eventually i was aloud back on the bike and to start the course. It seemed like eternity.. i think it was about 15-20 min or so... All i kept thinking was that i needed to stop shivering so i could get started. I didnt want to be the absolute last one out there.. no matter what... yes im a little competitive.. but more so with myself. I always try to push myself to do more than I think I can.. which can be a bad thing or a good thing.
I guess I made up time on the bike and run.. I caught a few people and managed to finish strong. People said they were happy to see me on the run because i was smiling the entire time.... the reason for that was that I was so DAMN HAPPY to be on land and not in the water.
Overall it was a good day.. we had great weather.. everyone was so supportive of each other, relentless and strong.. I admired everyone and how they pushed through.. I just wished i could of or was allowed to push through the swim... but im not upset about it. I realize its a process and eventually i will get there... WE ALL WILL GET THERE... because WE ARE IRON. Wish you could of shared the experience of the day. I was very fortunate to have 8 of my closest friends and proud to say my "chosen family" come out to cheer me on. Today.. I felt blessed for so many things.. my health, my determination, my Iron Family and my dear friends. What else could I ever need?
Please remember Im doing this for all of those who can't... for all of those who are sick and need help. Please donate today. Just click on either the Ironman logo or the ALC logo and follow the link. Thank you everyone near and far for all of your support! Now time to start training for the Half Ironman distance!

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

I am so proud of you! Your strength and determination amaze me. Keep up the great work! Sending love and hugs,


Jeanette

Nick said...

You looked awesome out there! Keep up the good work!I thought about quiting the swim at times too.