Monday, January 5, 2009

First Open Water Swim

Well I did it! I actually suited up in a wet suit and dragged my body into the freezing temps of Lake Del Valle (outside temp @ 31 degrees). My biggest fear was that I was going to drown. My second biggest fear was that I wasn't going to be able to breathe while in the wet suit. Well much to my surprise.. the wet suit worked to my advantage. It actually helped me float along the water.. so drowning was no longer a fear. The wet suit was a bit tight though and very much a challenge to put on. I found that breathing was also somewhat difficult at times.. but I learned quickly that if I just slowed my pace and controlled my breathing I could get into a rhythm. The team was split into two groups. Those that have had experience in open water and wearing a wet suit versus those that have not. Because I have not had any experience with either.. I was with the group that wasn't required to swim out as far as the others. Between each swim drill.. we were all required to come back to land to crunch out some core.. ie. planks, sit ups, squats etc. Unfortunately we weren't in the water long enough to really get acclimated.. only long enough to have a taste of what it would feel like. There are no other Open Water Swims scheduled between now and our 1st Olympic distance Triathlon.. which is January 25th. I will have to swim .9 miles. I have never swam that far without any breaks.. I guess I will see what all this training has done for me.. hmmm

Another highlight of the day was the Spirit Cape. A Spirit Cape is awarded to a person that represents the overall Ironman "spirit". Every 2 weeks its awarded to a different participant. I was surprised to be bestowed the cape this time around. It was an honor to be recognized but feel that there are so many others who give so much more than I do.. who really do deserve it more than I. All I could say was.."Thank you"... and keep hope that I can continue to carry that "Spirit".

As each week passes and the months go by.. I am slowly bonding with the team. I have started learning names.. hearing stories.. sharing moments with these teammates of mine. They are all AMAZING individuals. As much as I try to relate everything that I or we go through during training via Blog.. I can never convey all that is required in becoming an "IRONMAN". The commitment these individuals have to their personal goals, to the Cause, to their family and friends... It's a full plate but we do it.. whatever it takes.. We as a team will get there! Please don't forget why we are all here. Please make a donation today. Just click on either Cause on the right and follow the link. With much love, Belinda

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Belinda, you ROCKED in the lake swim!!!!